Vegan Black Dal
Vegan Black Dal
. 1 cup dry whole urad dal +2 tbsp of red kidney beans soaked overnight in 4 times water to dal.
• 4 cups water
• 3 tbsp virgin coconut oil
• 1 tsp cumin seed
• 1 small bay leaf
• 4-6 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 tsp minced ginger
• 1 birds eye green chilli chopped
• 1 small onion, finely chopped
• 1 large fresh ripe tomato puréed
• salt, to taste
• 1/2 tsp garam masala ( pre bought)
• 1/2 tsp coriander powder
• 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
• 1/4 tsp Kashmiri red chilli powder
• 1 tbsp kasoori methi ( dried fenugreek)
• 1/4 cup coconut cream
1. Add the soaked urad dal strained to a pot along with 4 cups of water. Bring it to a boil, then lower the heat to simmer. Cook covered for 1 hour or until dal is very tender. Turn off heat.
2. In a large pot heat the coconut oil, add cumin, bay leaf and fry until they crackle, add garlic, ginger, and chopped chillies, sauté about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Add the onion and fry until golden and soft, 4-6 minutes.
3. Add the tomato puree, cook for 5 minutes and add boiled lentils along with liquid. Let the first boil come, stir occasionally. Add salt to taste, garam masala, coriander powder, chilli powder and turmeric powder. Simmer for 30 minutes over low heat, stirring occasionally so the lentils do not stick and burn on the bottom of the pan. Taste and adjust seasoning.
4. Stir in the coconut cream and crush the kasoori methi between your palms and add to lentils
Cook for another 7- 10 minutes. It will be ready when it reaches a double cream consistency.