Kashmiri Lamb Curry
1kg Leg of Lamb
150 grams Yogurt
½ gram Saffron
30 grams Crushed Almonds
Whole Garam Masala:
1½ tsp cumin
6 green cardamom
2 black cardamom
1” cinnamon stick
1 star anise
2 blades of mace
1 tsp black pepper
350 grams onions
50 grams ginger-garlic paste
10 grams red chilli powder
10 grams coriander powder
3 grams garam masala
5 grams tumeric powder
60 grams tomato paste
1 bunch coriander leaves
10 grams ginger
1. Leg of lamb – Trim & remove the bones and cut into 1 inch cubes. Whisk the yogurt, add almonds, saffron, salt & half the ginger garlic paste & keep in marinade for 2 hours.
2. Pound the whole spices in a mortar – pestle.
3. Peel & slice the onions thin.
4. Wash & finely chop the coriander leaves, wash & scrape the ginger and cut into julienne.
1. Heat the oil in a heavy bottom pan, add the pounded spices, and stir till spices start to crackle.
2. Add the sliced onions, stir & cook till golden brown.
3. Add the lamb with the marinade, stir & cook till meat is browned & 3/4 cooked.
4. Add the dry spices & cook for 5 minutes.
5. Add the tomato paste & stir till lamb is cooked.
*** When the lamb is added, lamb will shed the excess of moisture & will cook in its own stock, if there isn’t much liquid in the pan, some water or lamb stock can be added. Once the meat is browned, it will tend to get stuck at the bottom, one has to keep stirring with the scraping at the bottom, which is important for the characteristic development of the flavors.
1. Serve it in bowl, garnished with coriander & ginger julienne.
2. Rogan Josh can be served with saffron rice or an Indian bread.