Easy curry mixed vegetables by Chef Atul Kochhar
Chef’s Atul’s easy 30 minute curries recipes
This simple yet stunning vegetarian curry made with frozen mixed vegetables is typical of food from Kolhapur, in the south-western state of Maharashtra, in that it is very hot and spicy. Atul serves this with Indian parathas for an authentic meal. Pg 15 of Atul’s 30 Minute Curries cookbook.
- Serves 4, as a sharing dish
- Assemble all the ingredients and equipment before you begin. you need a non-stick pan for toasting the spices, a spice grinder and a large saute or frying pan
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons onion paste
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste
- 250g frozen mixed vegetables
- 2 heaped tablespoons Greek-style yoghurt
- 350ml water
- sea salt
For the Kolhapuri spice powder
- 2 large dried red chillies
- 6 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- a small blade of mace
- 4 tablespoons dessicated coconut
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon black cumin seeds, or use ordinary
- 1/4 teaspoon black peppercorns
- First make the spice powder. Put the dried chillies into the dry non-stick pan over a low heat. add the cloves, cinnamon, mace, coconut, coriander and cumin seeds and peppercorns, and stir until thy become aromatic and the coconut is lightly toasted.
- Watch closely so the chillies and coconut do not burn before the spices are toasted. Tip the mixture into the spice grinder and grind until a fine powder forms. Set aside.
- Heat the vegetable oil over a medium-high heat in the saute pan. add the onion paste and garlic paste and stir them into the oil for 30 seconds. Add the spice powder and stir for a further 30 seconds. Watch closely so the spices do not burn.
- Add the frozen vegetables to the curry, season with salt and continue stirring until the vegetables start to thaw. Stir in the yoghurt, then add the water, stirring to incorporate all the ingredients. Leave to simmer, stirring occasionally, for 8-10 minutes until the gravy thickens slightly. The gravy will be quite thin at first, but it thickens as it simmer because the coconut int he spice powder absorbs the liquid. Adjust the seasoning with salt, if necessary.
Chef Atul’s time saving tip:
- The key to having a delicious vegetarian curry on the table within 30 minutes or less is having a supply of onion paste in the fridge or freezer. It gives you all the wonderful onion flavour without having to spend time peeling, chopping and then cooking the onion.